If you’ve jailbroken your iPhone, you’ve probably come to realise that it’s not the smooth and seamless transition that you thought it would be. Jailbreaking allows you to break out of iTunes without using your phone’s IMEI number to utilise your phone in different ways.
Jailbreaking can keep you from updating your iPhone and your operating system will eventually run slower, eventually rendering your iPhone useless altogether. It can make your phone more susceptible to viruses and could possibly brick your phone, meaning your phone will fail to turn on and you won’t be able to fix it or use it at all.
So if you’ve made the mistake of jailbreaking your iPhone, how do you reverse it? Before making the decision to reverse your jailbroken iPhone, heed warning that it will erase all your data from your iPhone.
Steps to Restore Your Jailbroken iPhone
- First, check to make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer.
- Once iTunes has detected your iPhone, select it under the list of devices. If your iPhone is not being detected, you must put your phone in DFU mode.
- While it’s connected, hold down the Home button and the Power button simultaneously for 10 seconds, then release the Power button while still holding the Home button.
- iTunes should then detect your iPhone after a few seconds.
- Choose the “Summary” tab.
- Choose the “Restore” option.
- You will be prompted with a screen that asks if you wish to back up your iPhone before restoring.
- If your phone is jailbroken, don’t backup when restoring.
- Select the Restore option when prompted.
- Once the restore process is complete, your iPhone will restart and the Apple logo will show on a black screen.
- You will then see the “Connect to Activate” screen. You must continue to keep your iPhone connected for completion.
- Once you restore your iPhone from a previous back up or have set your iPhone as new, iTunes should identify your iPhone.
Jailbreaking your iPhone isn’t something that we would recommend. If you want an iPhone unlock, use our legal, factory unlock service. We unlock iPhones using iTunes and your IMEI number. You will then be able to use your phone as normal without the risk of bricking your phone.